Ex-CDC director Frieden accused of groping woman's buttocks

Thomas Frieden, center, leaves Brooklyn federal court, Friday, Aug. 24, 2018, in New York. Frieden, the former director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has been arrested in New York on a sex abuse charge. (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)

Former U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention director Dr. Thomas Frieden has been ordered to stay away from a woman who accuses him of groping her buttocks at his New York home last October

NEW YORK — One of the nation's most respected medical experts, who led the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, entered a courtroom on Friday in handcuffs, arrested on sexual-harassment charges after a woman accused him of grabbing her behind late one night last year.

Dr. Thomas Frieden, who for years informed the public about dangers to their health, sat stone-faced as a judge warned him not to approach the woman, who accused him of groping her on Oct. 20, 2017, in his Brooklyn home.

Frieden, who also is a former New York City health commissioner, was arrested earlier Friday on three charges: forcible touching, sex abuse and harassment. His attorney, Laura Brevetti, entered a not guilty plea on his behalf.

The 55-year-old accuser, who knew Frieden, reported the encounter in July, and he was taken into custody after an investigation.

The judge ordered Frieden to refrain from any contact with the woman and to surrender his U.S. passport. Frieden was freed on his own recognizance, leaving in a car with his attorney. His next court appearance is Oct. 11.

Frieden leads a health initiative called Resolve to Save Lives, which is housed by nonprofit global health organization Vital Strategies.

"The allegation does not reflect Dr. Frieden's public or private behavior or his values over a lifetime of service to improve health around the world," said a statement issued by a spokesman on his behalf.

The president of Vital Strategies, Jose L. Castro, came out in support of Frieden. He said Frieden informed him in April that "a non-work-related friend of his and his family of more than 30 years accused him of inappropriate physical contact."

"I have known and worked closely with Dr. Frieden for nearly 30 years and have seen first-hand that he has the highest ethical standards both personally and professionally," Castro said in a statement. "In all of my experiences with him, there have never been any concerns or reports of inappropriate conduct."

Nonetheless, earlier this month Vital Strategies hired an investigator to interview Resolve to Save Lives employees even though the woman didn't work there. Castro said the investigation found no inappropriate workplace behavior.

"Vital Strategies greatly values the work Dr. Frieden does to advance public health and he has my full confidence," Castro said.

Frieden was a disease investigator at the Atlanta-based CDC, the nation's top public health agency, in 1990 when he was assigned to New York City and worked on a large outbreak of drug-resistant tuberculosis. He stayed, taking a job heading the city's tuberculosis control.

In 1996, he began working in India with the World Health Organization on tuberculosis control.

Frieden became New York City's health commissioner in 2002 and was known for his aggressive measures to attack chronic diseases. In 2003, New York banned smoking in almost all workplaces, a precedent-setting move that inspired other cities to do the same. In 2006, it became the first U.S. city to ban restaurants from using artificial trans fats and required hundreds of eateries to post calorie counts on their menus.

In 2009, President Barack Obama's administration picked Frieden to head the CDC. Frieden led U.S. public health efforts during a range of high-profile national and international health crises, including pandemic flu, Ebola and Zika.

Frieden was CDC director until January 2017, when he resigned as part of the turnover to President Donald Trump's administration.

In September 2017, Frieden announced he had moved back to New York City to head the $225 million Resolve to Save Lives initiative.

___

Associated Press writers Kiley Armstrong and Mike Stobbe in New York and Colleen Long in Washington contributed to this report.

Related News

Swedish prosecutors not ready to decide on...

Mar 15, 2017

US-ECUADOR-SWEDEN-ASSANGE:Swedish prosecutors not ready to decide on Assange, waiting on translation

Report says 1,100 complaints of child abuse made...

Mar 17, 2017

US-AUSTRALIA-ABUSE:Report says 1,100 complaints of child abuse made against Australia's Anglican...

In Duterte's Davao, China's vice premier...

Mar 17, 2017

US-PHILIPPINES-CHINA:In Duterte's Davao, China's vice premier prioritizes deals over disputes

Tokyo 2020 golf venue votes to admit women members

Mar 20, 2017

US-OLYMPICS-TOKYO-GOLF:Tokyo 2020 golf venue votes to admit women members

IOC welcome Tokyo 2020 golf venue u-turn on women...

Mar 21, 2017

US-OLYMPICS-TOKYO-GOLF:IOC welcome Tokyo 2020 golf venue u-turn on women members

Come down from pulpit to deal with sexual abuse,...

Mar 23, 2017

US-VATICAN-ABUSE:Come down from pulpit to deal with sexual abuse, Catholic leaders told

Sign up now!

About Us

Who doesn’t love gossip? E-Rumor Mill grinds the news and gossip to keep reader's well-entertained.

Contact us: sales[at]e-rumormill.com

Subscribe Now!

Quick Links

HomePress